Monday, August 20, 2012

week 8

Morning dew / Afterglow




A montage of sunrises and dew in late july, combined with a poem by Jorge Luis Borges, read in original spanish by Noel Svetec. The music is a collage combining excerpts form violin improvisations by Sanna Natunen and piano improvisations by yours truly.

Originally I imagined this piece as just a collection of images capturing the dew and the beautiful light before and after the sunrise using time-lapse techniques. For soundtrack I though I'd just use recordings of natural ambience from the locations and go with a very simple and minimalist approach. But while editing the images seemed to scream for something more to accompany them. At the I had been reading a collection of poems by the Argentinian master Borges, and this one poem in particular had stuck in my mind. So I decided to try it out to see how it changes the associations and the atmosphere of the images. Then I took a piece of a piano improvisation from I recording I had made on location during a brake while shooting another short film and combined that with snippets of violin improvisations gratuously played by Sanna Natunen. With this triangle of sound elements the piece turned out to be much more like a music video, or film-poem, or something. This I had not imagined while I started filming, but it came out as a delightful surprise for me. Though I worry that the soundtrack is almost to crowded now (and I'd love to record my piano again, better & without the sound of the clicking fingernails).

Due to software issues, some of the material on this video is of inferior quality. Also a major part of the material I shot was left unused for this version. I plan revisit this piece again in the near future and to render some of the time-lapse sequences again with better quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment